Saturday, October 18, 2014

It's not always "no"

The answer is always "no" if you never ask.


This is one of the lessons I've learned this year. I think it's made a big impact on how I interact with people. I know it's intimidating to ask people for things, but if you never try, the answer is always "no." However, if you ask, sometimes the answer may be "yes."

I think we think people will think badly of us if we ask for help, but in reality, most people don't mind. They won't judge us for what we ask. In my experience, most people are open to helping others.

For me, these were some of the ways I applied this lesson:
  • asking people for interviews
  • asking friends to drive me to the airport
  • asking professors for office hours outside of scheduled times
  • asking people to donate to a charity


Do you ever feel too intimidated to ask?
I've definitely been too intimidated. I've very shy by nature and often worry about how I'd look if I did a certain thing or asked a certain question. However, I know that people don't care too much about what you do. They might think it funny or strange for a moment, but they'll quickly forget. Don't get caught up with the fear! 

If you don't ask, you will miss many opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment